Friday, March 25, 2011

Sleep-Overs, Birthday Cakes and Mongolia

Hi from Korea!  We're still rolling along.  I've missed friends and family so much as of late.  The language barrier is insurrmoutable at times.  I'm thankful for laughter, tears, music and prayer as they are universally understood.  I'm trusting that this will be a time for us to grow in relationship with the Lord and together as a family, but I still miss my peeps.  We're still working on the 070 phone thing.  Hopefully, that will be in place sometime soon.

On a positive note, I am forming friendships with my neighbor and my co-teachers at work.  I'm helping my neighbor learn English and I've enjoyed just sharing life with my co-workers.  I'm so thankful for that.  Chan Hye has also been such a great badminton buddy and help to me.

Barry and the kids are doing great.  They are in a great rhythm with homeschool.  Take away your home culture and closest friends and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.  (he he.)  Actually, there's a lot of truth to that statement.  I'm  not advising that you hop the next plane to a foreign country, but I have noticed that our productivity levels have sky-rocketed.  I've written more songs in the last 2 weeks than I have in 5 years back in the States.  Barry has summarized and typed up several great books for his discipleship groups, etc.  So, the productivity is up, but the heart loss of friendships and familiarity is still felt and can be very heavy at times (for me anyway.)  I'm such a connection-junky.  I love my people and it hurts not to see them on a regular basis, but there's always a silver lining and I'm excited to have the opportunity to check it out.

San slept over last night.  The kids are all playing Wii as I type.  They've had a great time together.  While they were playing I made Barry a birthday cake.  Guess how much it cost to buy the ingredients?
      ...Nope, higher.        Nope, guess again....      Okay, it cost $70 dollars to make him this cake.  That's a far cry from $2 cake mix in the States!  It is however, an icecream cake with 3 types of ice cream, 4 snicker bars, brownies and crumbled up chocolate cake (cost $20 to make the chocolate cake) that Barry made for a kids church video and some other random and miscellaneous ingredients.  So, anyway, I thought y'all might get a kick out of hearing the price total for the cake.  (He better like it.)  ;)

In terms of ministry travels, Barry leaves for Mongolia April 4th for one week.  He and Kidoong will meet with various ministers to plan outreach for summer and fall.  Chan Hye has been such a help with the kids.  I'm sure that between the two of us we'll have have the bases covered.

Thanks for sending emails and reminding us that we're still in your hearts.  You all are still very much in ours!  Love and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for keeping us posted on what you're doing...and feeling. We miss our peeps too!!! Hope the birthday cake is wonderful! I know Barry will appreciate it (the kids too!!) Love you all lots, mom

    ReplyDelete