Monday, August 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, Samantha!

We just got home from China.  We left on our 13th wedding anniversary and came home just before Sam's 12th birthday.  It's hard to believe I'm the mother of a 12 year old.  She's a wonderful 12 year old and I'm thankful for everyday I've known her.  In some ways it seems like she has more maturity and wisdom at the age of 12 than I have at the age of 33.  Of course, I have prayed for her that just like Jesus, she will "grow in wisdom, stature and favor with God and with men."  Apparently God's been listening!



The opportunities for the Gospel here in Asia are unbelievable.  It's almost overwhelming -- mostly in a good way.  Kids camps in Korea and in China went great.  It was so fun to work with the Korean and U.S. teams for a few weeks and it was a joy to see everyone using their gifts and working together as one to share God's good news and love.  Thank you for praying for us.  It made a difference and we needed it!

There were several opportunities to lead worship for different groups in Korea and China.  We had the opportunity to lead worship for the adults in the Shanghai church.  We had a powerful prayer time with them and really sensed God's power and presence within and on behalf of their church.  It's amazing to see and experience the growth of the church in a country that openly rejects religion.  God is at work in Asia.  The kids were so hungry for God and for the most part very attentive to the teachers.  One night we had a Parents Night for the campers.  We worshipped together and then had the parents and kids pray together as families.  That was a sweet time.

I never realized how beautiful China is.  I always imagined it as a polluted, factory-filled nation.  It's not that way.  There are many trees and gardens.  It's lovely.  There are, of course, some unlovely things, but I guess that's to be expected.

We had the opportunity to see the Pearl Tower in Shanghai.  The city at night is so pretty and SO huge!  I've never been in such a large city.  Seoul dwarfs Atlanta, but Shanghai is massive!!!

Funny things I observed:  Men often walk around shirtless with their potbellies hanging out (it's very hot in China), children relieve themselves in public, parents carry around naked babies, you are expected to provide your own toilet paper around and also Chinese people will literally stop you in your tracks just to take a picture with you because you're a white person (that doesn't happen in Korea much.)

Tomorrow I go back to work.  I've got mixed emotions about that.  We obviously need and appreciate the paycheck, but part of me wishes we could continue to travel and do ministry.  God uses it all, though.

I think the next trip will be in October.  Barry will go to Singapore with Kidoong for a conference.  That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment